This Christmas my husband got me Divya Alter’s Ayurvedic recipe cookbook, What to Eat for How you Feel. This book so far has become my new favorite Ayurvedic cookbook, mainly because of the food and spice combinations that create delicious meals with healing benefits for the body and the mind. For the next few posts I will be sharing with you a few recipes from the this book.
Today we’ll start with and easy and quick recipe, almond milk. What will take the longest time will be the soaking of the almonds. Place the almonds in a jar and covered with water; with at least two inches of water above the almonds. The almonds can be soaked anywhere from 12 hours up to 5 days. It is very important to change the water daily if left more than 12 hours. The soaking almonds will be left in the refrigerator in order to avoid fermentation.
Place almonds in a blender and blend them until nuts are completely broken down and water is whitish. At this point pour the mixture in a bowl covered with a cheesecloth or a nut milk bag.
Pour the almond milk into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
What to do with the almond grounds? You could use them in the Crispy Outside and Soft Inside GF Waffles recipe, adding 1/4 cup of the ground almonds to the mixture and increasing the buttermilk to 2 cups, or You could use it for breading. If you are planning to use it for breading you will need to bake it a 350 degrees until it dries up and toasts. Season the dry almond grounds with salt and Parmesan cheese and use for breading chicken tenders. If not using right away refrigerate (if still wet) or bake (dry up) and store in airtight container.
Healing benefits of almonds include nourishing the brain, supporting the male reproductive system, and when soaked are fantastic during pregnancy.
- 1 cup of raw almonds
- 3 cups of filtered water
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the almonds inside a mason jar with at least to inches of water above the almonds
- Almonds can be left soaking for 8 to 12 hours up to a maximum of 5 days. What is important here is that the soaking almonds are kept refrigerated and that the water is changed daily to avoid fermentation.
- Drain the nuts and rinse them with fresh water
- In a blender pour the filtered water, almonds and pinch of salt. Blend until all almonds have been grounded
- Filter the almond milk using a nut milk bag or a cheesecloth
- Pour the almond milk in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 day. Shake well before every use