Finally, after a week and a vat full of test batter later, I can share with you the recipe for these crispy outside and soft inside gluten free waffles. I like these waffles because they are flavorful, crispy on the outside and fluffy and light inside. When making great waffles the trick is not only in the batter but also in the waffle maker used. Opinions on what constitutes a great waffle vary enormously from person to person. Some like them thin and crispy, others like them thicker and fluffier nobody likes them soggy!
This recipe yields enough for a week, for one person. These waffles can be frozen or refrigerated. Store them in a freezer safe plastic bag making sure to put a layer of wax paper between each waffle to prevent them from sticking together. Before serving simply pop them in the toaster oven for five minutes; just like Eggo’s 🙂 Top this crispy gluten free waffles with your fruit of choice, syrup, or nuts and voila there you have it a complete breakfast in no time.
If you, like me, have been disappointed by other gluten-free waffle recipes in the past (or waffle recipes in general), give these a try, they are amazing!
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1⅔ cups of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon sugar or syrup
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds (optional)
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients: brown rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients: buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil.
- Whisk the wet ingredients until all combined.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until well blended. Should have a thin batter, If too thick add more buttermilk.
- Pour batter onto waffle maker.
- Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.
Did you make this recipe?
Leave a Reply