With so many food blogs out there, the ones that stand out are those with amazing pictures; pictures that make you drool over the keyboard … run to the kitchen hoping you have all the ingredients to prepare whatever dish you are reading about! A friend who has been using Lightroom, an Adobe photo editing tool, suggested I try it. So, I downloaded a one month trial version to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised with the tool’s easy of use of its image editing capabilities. Take a look at the Roasted Chicken with Herbs pictures and be the judge of that … If you have not had lunch or dinner I bet you are already drooling over your keyboard … you see it’s already working 🙂
Once again I use my favorite spice combination; rosemary and sage, this time with a cage-free roasted chicken. In Florida where we live there are many supermarkets; Walmart, Winn-Dixie, Albertson’s, Publix and a few others. Our favorite one to shop for fresh meats is Publix. Their GreenWise brand has free-range chickens and both meats/chickens that are preservative, hormone, and antibiotic FREE. For many years we used to buy Tyson frozen chicken breasts from Sam’s Club but after several product recalls I decided to try the GreenWise brand. If you have never tried organic meats I suggest you try then at least once, you will be surprise how much tastier they are.
When preparing this chicken your whole house will smell amazing as this roasts away in your oven and I guarantee it’ll be a huge hit with whoever you choose to share this with!
- 4 lb. whole chicken
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 7 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary leaves (measure before chopping)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ or 1 tablespoon of butter
- Preheat oven to 425 ˚F.
- Remove any giblets and set aside. You will not use them for this recipe.
- Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
- With a paring knife, cut deep slits in the chicken, spacing them evenly. Make just a few in the breast and thighs.
- In a mortar combine the garlic and salt until it forms a paste.
- Rinse and chop the fresh herbs.
- Add the herbs to the garlic paste and mix well (in the mortar).
- Using your fingers make the slits in the chicken wider and bury into them a sliver of the garlic mix. Rub the leftover garlic mix under and over the chicken skin.
- Place the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan or an oven ready pot with tall sides.
- Drizzle the chicken with the olive oil and place small pieces of butter on top.
- Insert a thermometer in the inner thigh (make sure does not touch bone) and set aside for half an hour.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375 ˚F and continue roasting until the juices run clear or the thermometer register 165 ˚F, approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let it stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Did you make this recipe?