This savory beef and been chili is convenient and easy to prepare. You could even make the preparation easier by using a slow cooker. When using a slow cooker, precook the beef on the stove and drain the liquid (remember to leave some to add to the slow cooker). Then transfer the beef to the slow cooker together with all of the other ingredients, except the chocolate. Cover and cook the chili for 8 hours. Before serving the chili, add the chocolate to the slow cooker and mix. The secret to making beef chili is to let it simmer; the longer it simmers the better the flavors will blend.
Serve this chili with chopped fresh cilantro, grated cheddar cheese or sour cream. Our family enjoys a side of home made delicious Corn Souffle.
Over a year after this post was posted our son created this movie showing step by step beef chili preparation. Filmed with his iPhone at his apartment during his third semester in college. Super job Marco, very creative!
- 2.5 lbs of ground sirloin
- 1 lb of ground chuck
- 2 cups of finely chopped onions
- ¾ cup of chopped red or green pepper
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of chili powder (add more if you prefer spicier)
- 2.5 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 18 oz of chicken broth
- 1.5 tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3½ (14.5 oz.) can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice
- 3 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons of grated unsweetened chocolate (I use Baker's chocolate)
- Salt to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot and cook the ground sirloin and chuck over medium heat.
- Using a slotted spoon move the beef to another container. Save ¼ cup of the liquid and discard the rest (unless you prefer to use it for the preparation of the chili. Just keep in mind that it may be too greasy).
- Pour the remainder of the olive oil to the pot where the beef was cooked. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño. Sauté the vegetables until tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add the already cooked beef.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt, cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth, ¼ cup liquid saved from the beef, and tomatoes with juices. Let it simmer covered for 50 to 60 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir in grated chocolate let it cook for a couple of minutes.
Did you make this recipe?